As an ITW Member and Facilitator of The Work of Byron Katie:
- I agree to conduct myself in a manner worthy of the Institute for The Work of Byron Katie, and I will not engage in conduct or make statements that may negatively affect The Work, our founder, Byron Katie, or any other facilitator.
- I will strive to recognize any of my own personal issues that would impair, conflict with, or interfere with my facilitation and/or my client’s own interest. Should the facts and circumstances necessitate, I will promptly get in touch with email@example.com to work with me to determine any action to be taken, including whether it is appropriate to suspend or terminate my facilitation relationship(s).
- When moving The Work in the world, I agree to conduct myself in a manner that will support the efforts of Institute for The Work of Byron Katie and its members. I will advertise and promote my Work-related services through open communication, inclusion, kindness, and integrity to attract clients, rather than through competition to the disadvantage of other facilitators or modalities.
- I will not exploit any aspect of the facilitator-client relationship for my personal or professional gain.
- I will not engage in any kind of sexual behavior with my clients. This includes flirtation, suggestive comments, and inappropriate touching.
- I will honor agreements made with my clients. I will not engage in any kind of harassment or threats (verbal or non-verbal) with my clients, participants, staff at Work events, or ITW community members.
- I will ensure that my client understands the nature of The Work—that it is inquiry, not therapy.
- I will accurately state my qualifications as a facilitator.
- I will not make any claims about what my client will receive from The Work or from me as his or her facilitator.
- I will not give advice to my clients.
- I will respect my client’s right to terminate our facilitator-client relationship at any point during the process. I will be alert to indications that my client is no longer committed to doing The Work or to benefiting from our facilitation relationship and will end the relationship at that point.
- If I believe that another facilitator would better serve my client, I will encourage my client to change facilitators and I will recommend one.
Confidentiality / Privacy
- I agree that what I hear from my client will be held in the strictest confidentiality, and I will respect the confidentiality of my client’s information, except as otherwise authorized by my client. I am aware of US Federal HIPAA legislation (if I am working in the USA), which concerns confidentiality of medical information, and I agree to abide by it if it applies. As a facilitator, if I am not required by law to report an illegal act, and if I am uncomfortable with my client’s information, I will immediately contact the Institute for The Work of Byron Katie’s designated representative at firstname.lastname@example.org. If I am under any other obligation by law to report certain issues to authorities or because of other licensure or professional obligations, I will inform my client about this prior to entering into the client-facilitator relationship.
- I will not release the name of my client as a client or reference, and will not release any other client-identifying information, without first obtaining written permission from my client.
Conflicts of Interest
- I will avoid conflicts between my interests and the best interests of my clients.
- Whenever any actual conflict of interest or the potential for a conflict of interest arises, I will fully discuss with my client how to deal with it in whatever way best serves my client.